Friday, April 9, 2010

#9 ...my fancy gave her eyes of blue...

Today's a doubleheader day, two poems for the price of one!

My first poem is my favorite of Shakespeare's sonnets. It's not one of his more romantic sonnets, not something a lovestruck hero and heroine would recite to each other. It's earthy, honest, and realistic, and that's what I like best about it.

The second poem is Lewis Carroll's take on the same idea. In both cases, the poets are speaking of their loves and realizing they may not be beautiful, but they love them regardless. So often in literature the ideal woman is held up to be one at the pinnacle of beauty, and it's refreshing to read a poem where the speaker's saying "Yeah, you know, she can crack a mirror but I love her anyway."

Sonnet 130
by William Shakespeare


My mistress' eyes are nothing like the sun;
Coral is far more red than her lips' red;
If snow be white, why then her breasts are dun;
If hairs be wires, black wires grow on her head.
I have seen roses damasked, red and white,
But no such roses see I in her cheeks;
And in some perfumes is there more delight
Than in the breath that from my mistress reeks.
I love to hear her speak, yet well I know
That music hath a far more pleasing sound;
I grant I never saw a goddess go;
My mistress, when she walks, treads on the ground.
And yet, by heaven, I think my love as rare
As any she belied with false compare.

My Fancy
by Lewis Carroll


I painted her a gushing thing,
With years perhaps a score;
A little thought to find they were
At least a dozen more;
My fancy gave her eyes of blue,
A curly, auburn head;
I came to find the blue a green
The auburn turned to red.

She boxed my ears this morning--
They tingled very much;
I own that I could wish her
A somewhat lighter touch;
And if you were to ask me how
Her charms might be improved,
I would not have them added to,
But just a few removed!

She has the bear's ethereal grace,
The bland hyena's laugh,
The footstep of the elephant,
The neck of the giraffe.
I love her still, believe me,
Though my heart its passion hides;
"She is all my fancy painted her,"
But, oh, how much besides!

1 comment:

  1. Your blog is interesting, has left a great impression.
    Best wishes
    Jonas

    ReplyDelete